Learn all about the fascinating history of St. Maarten/ St. Martin and how it sculptured to the island it is today, during this 4-hour excursion from Phillipsburg. Journey around the island while listening to engaging commentary from your guide about the natural history, culture, traditions and geology of this unique place. Enjoy stops at important landmarks and highlights that give a greater picture of the islands past. Included in this tour is round trip transportation from the cruise ship terminal.
This excursion begins from the parking lot next to the cruise ship terminal in Philipsburg. Enjoy free pick up if guests are staying at hotels in Philipsburg and Oyster Pond.
First stop will be at a viewpoint overlooking the Great salt Pond and Philipsburg, where you will learn why the Dutch and French side wanted to come to the island, and how they agreed on peacefully dividing the small island into two nations. Also, here you will learn about St. Maarten’s/ St. Martin’s geography.
Enjoy exploring two of the islands most iconic forts: Fort Amsterdam in Philipsburg and Fort Louis in Marigot. Here you will learn from your knowledgeable guide about the battles that took place between the different countries that were fighting over the islands resources for centuries.
On the topic of St. Martins colonial and slavery history you will visit an old plantation, where you’ll get the chance of having a break and getting served iced tea or coffee with homemade banana bread. This excursion is a fantastic way to discover the island, while learning all about the Dutch and French side local history and current politics.
Please be aware when visiting the forts, it will involve approximately two 10-minute uphill hike. This tour is not recommended for people that have walking disabilities or using a wheelchair due to sloping and uneven terrain.
- Port pickup/drop-off
- Hotel pickup from Oyster Pond and Philipsburg
- Local tour guide
- Bottled water
- Coffee, Iced tea and Banana cake
- Confirmation will be received upon booking
- Cruise ship passengers, at time of booking you must provide the following information; Ship name, docking time, all aboard time and departure time
- Hotel guests, please be aware the tour starts in Philipsburg. If you are not staying at a hotel in Oyster Pond or Philipsburg, please arrange transportation to the starting point
- This tour involves at least two 10-minute uphill walks on gravel and unpaved surfaces. Due to the uneven terrain, this tour is not recommended for those who are using a wheelchair or have walking disabilities.
You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
Local operator information:
All tour operator details, including local telephone numbers are included on your Confirmation Voucher. For peace of mind, we have selected only the most experienced and reliable operators in each destination.
For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.
Dock Maarten in Philipsburg.
Walking distance from cruise ship port.
Free hotel pickups in oyster Pond and Philipsburg. If hotel is not in these areas, transportation will need to be arranged to Dock Maarten.
(Hotel pickups, prior to this time)
Approximately 4 hours
Return to original departure point